Old Lucea In Retrospect
|Lucea Baptist Church on the far left,
Town Hall with clock (old Courthouse) to the far right,
Haughton Court cane cultivation at bottom left.
The Baptist Manse is on top of the hill behind the church, and to the right is Etta Browne's house on the ridge behind the coconut tree, an area known as Duke's Hill.
Lower down the road from the church is Elsie Davis house, that area is known as "Ka Kat" with those other houses in the vicinity. Cressey's Lane (Back Lane) name for the Rev. Cressey, starts at that point and ends where there used to be a two story house(not in photo), that host the Lucea Library up to the 60's. Legend has it that the formula for Tia Maria was created by a woman on the second floor.
That first building to the left of the Town Hall was occupied by Lucea Methodist Church and Rusea's school, the building was razed by fire, a new building was erected on the spot for the church in 1841, and Rusea's was moved to the barracks at Fort Charlotte.
Notice that the roofs of these buildings in Lucea were
wooden shingles, and were over laid with zinc sheets
during World War II, and painted in red to dampen the
The Browne wharf at this point, is setting up the crane and the storage building does not have a roof. Bottom right is Ms Nesta Crooks house, the bottom left, was home of Mr Todd a Customs inspector of ships, no idea of the previous owners, property in between buildings was called Brash Yard, a the end of the wall that home was occupied by a Mrs Record, she had a shop on the first floor, and so many children pinched her Fudge. Those hills in the background was the property of Haughton Court, the first municipal Resovior was located at prosper, which was fed by a spring, it is also the source of water in the Venture Gutter .
|The Browne wharf with housing for the
crane and the storage, with a Slope loading and and
unloading, schooners at anchor in the harbor, others are
moored alongside other wharfs.
It was said that at times there could be two hundred
boats in the harbor. Boats would leave from Lucea to
England, Trinidad, Panama, Cuba, Columbia, Costa Rica,
New Orleans Bahamas, New York City, all the other ports
in Jamaica. The cargo could be Lucea Yam, Ackee, Rum,
Molasses, Timber, Dyes, Lard, Cocoa, Pimento, Coffee,
Spices, Sugar, Banana was one of the last items to be
shipped to England. These boats also carried passengers
and Mails, the Winsome carried Ice from Montego Bay. The
craftsmen made and repair Schooner, Slopes, Yawls,
Doughts, Packet Canoes, Lighters, Launches, and Yachts.
Small buildings at the shores were Toilets,
there were some toilets that were placed on the
wharf, one can be seen in the middle right.
This photo was taken in 1939 for
King George Coronation along the
|Starting on the left this building was
owned by the Pharmacist Percy Miller, where he had his
Drug Store establishment. Henderson Moo Young bought the
building in the late 50's, and had establish a thriving
dry goods business, supplying the other dry goods
business in the Parish, and Lumber ware
house; this is now a
|This aerial photo of Lucea was taken before